- Cream of Tartar is derived from argol, the crude tartar sediment deposited on the sides of casks during winemaking.
- Cream of Tartar is also called potassium bitartrate and has the chemical formula KHC4H4O6.
- Cream of Tartar is also used to manufacture baking powder, to tin-plate metals, and as a laxative in medicine.
- Cream of Tartar has an indefinite shelf life if kept tightly closed and stored away from heat.
- McCormick & Company obtains its supply of Cream of Tartar from Italy, where very small people crawl through the very small holes in open wine casks to scrape out the residue left after the wine has been fermented and drained out.
Copyright © 1995-2018 Joey Green. "McCormick" is a registered trademark of McCormick & Company, Incorporated.