- Alberto VO5 is named after the chemist Alberto who invented Alberto VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing. VO5 stands for the five vital organic emollients in the hairdressing. In the 1950s, a chemist named Alberto developed Alberto VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing to rejuvenate the coiffures of Hollywood's movie stars from the damage of harsh studio lights.
- The five vital organic emollients in Alberto VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing restore resiliency and flexibility to dull, dry hair, smooths frizzies and split ends, helps control static flyaway, and protects hair from further damage.
- Alberto's partner, Blaine Culver, marketed the company until 1955 when 36-year-old Leonard Lavin and his wife, Bernice, bought the Los Angeles-based beauty supply firm for $400,000 and relocated it to Chicago.
- In 1955, the company ran the first television commercial for VO5, and within three years Alberto VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing was the best selling hair conditioner in the United States.
- In 1972, Alberto-Culver changed advertising by combining two 30-second television commercials together into the industry's first 60-second spot.
- Alberto VO5 is the number one hair conditioner in the United States.
- Alberto VO5 Hair Spray was the world's first crystal clear hair spray.
- Alberto-Culver also operates the world's largest chain of beauty supply stores, Sally Beauty Supply. Sally Beauty operates more than 1,400 outlets offering salon products and appliances to professional and retail customers.
Copyright © 1995-2017 Joey Green. "Alberto VO5" is a registered trademark of Alberto-Culver USA, Inc.