- Paint your house. Mix one and a half-cups Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk and one-half cup water until it is the consistency of paint. Blend in water-based color to make the desired hue. Thin the paint by adding more water, thicken the paint by adding more powdered milk. Brush on as you would any other paint. Let the first coat dry for at least twenty-four hours before adding a second coat. Let the second dry for three days. Early American colonists made their milk paint from the milk used to boil berries, resulting in an attractive gray color. This paint is extremely durable. To strip milk paint, apply ammonia, allow it to dry for about four days, then apply bleach. Make sure you are stripping the paint in a well-ventilated area.
- Remove makeup. Mix a teaspoon of Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk with warm water, apply with a cotton ball, wipe clean, and rinse.
- Thaw frozen fish. Mix one and one-third cup Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk in three and three-quarters-cup water. Place the frozen fish in a pan and cover with the milk solution. Milk eliminates the frozen taste, returning the fresh-caught flavor.
- Soothe poison ivy, insect bites, and sunburn. Mix ten ounces Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk and twenty-five ounces water in a quart container. Fill up the container by adding ice cubes and two tablespoons salt. Apply to infected area with a cloth for twenty minutes, three or four timesdaily.
- Take a milk bath. Add one-half cup Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk to warm water for a soothing bath.
- Make a slight crack in a dish or plate disappear. Mix one and one-third cup Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk with three and three-quarters cups water. Place the dish or plate in a pan, cover with the milk solution, then bring to a boil and simmer for forty-five minutes at low heat. In most cases, the crack will vanish.
- Clean plant leaves. Mix one and one-third cup Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk with seven and three-quarters cups water, and using a soft cloth, wipe the leaves.
- Substitute whipped cream. Whip one cup Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk in a cup of ice water for five minutes. Use immediately.
- Clean silver. Mix five ounces Nestlé Carnation Nonfat Dry Milk, twelve ounces water, and one tablespoon Heinz White Vinegar or ReaLemon lemon juice. Let silver stand overnight in the mixture, then rinse clean and dry thoroughly.
Copyright © 1995-2017 Joey Green. "Nestlé" and "Carnation" are registered trademarks of the Nestlé Food Company.